October 2, 2021
(SEE IMPORTANT MEETING UPDATES BELOW)
Join us for the Washington Academy of Pediatric Dentistry’s Annual Meeting!
We’re very excited to finally meet again in person! While Zoom meetings have helped fill the gap and keep us safe, nothing can quite replace the sense of community and fun that meeting with colleagues can have. We’ve made plans to meet in October at the beautiful CedarBrook Lodge in Seattle. You don’t want to miss our dynamic and applicable lecture from Dr. Clarice Law as she helps us navigate current behavior management insights for children (and their parents!). Please follow the link below to register as soon as possible!
Location- CedarBrook Lodge https://www.cedarbrooklodge.
Time: 8:00 am – 8:50 am WSAPD business meeting
9:00 am -1:00 CE lecture
1:00 pm – Lunch
Lecture: Speaker- Dr. Clarice Law
Topic– “Living in WandaVision: Beneath the surface of the contemporary family.”
The contemporary family has been challenged with a number of unique stressors, from the rise ofmedia influences to the impact of Covid-19. These stressors have affected the nature of the relationship between the child, parent, and oral health provider. In this presentation, Dr. Clarice Law will bring in some of the issues being discussed outside the pediatric dentistry literature about changes in family dynamics. We’ll talk about some frameworks for understanding the roots of child and parent behavior and discuss some strategies that can influence behavior in the dental office.
- To summarize changes in parenting relevant to the pediatric dentist
- To discuss social influences on parenting
- To summarize current theories on parenting
- To brainstorm practical applications to clinical care
- To brainstorm modifications to basic behavior guidance techniques
WSAPD member – $275
non-WSAPD member- $375
- We will be offering a Zoom option in addition to an in-person meeting. The registration fee will be the same as for the in-person meeting. Below is the link for the registration. Upon payment, please select an in-person or a zoom option.
- For those who have already registered and would like to change to a Zoom option, please email us stating your preference to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- For those who signed up for the in-person meeting, we will be offering you a boxed lunch. There will be vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. However, options will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Distribution for the boxed lunch is planned around 1:00 pm. Please note that dining space will not be offered.
- We have a room reserved that typically allows 75 attendees, but to maintain social distancing recommendations, we can only accommodate a maximum of 50 in-person attendees. Please make sure to register as soon as possible if you would prefer to attend in-person. Our speaker, Dr. Clarice Law, is planning to have both a lecture and a small group discussion.
- For those attending in-person, we will be emailing you a COVID-19 waiver and release of claims form issued by AAPD one week prior to the meeting. Please review and we will ask you to sign the form upon arrival.
- Upon arrival, there will be a check-in desk for all attendees to sign the AAPD waiver form and to have their temperatures taken. We ask all attendees to switch to Zoom options if they have any COVID-19 symptoms or elevated fever.
- We will ask all the in-person attendees to wear a mask at all times except for the speakers.
- During the business meeting (8:00- 8:50 am) we will have an update from WSDA president-elect Dr. John Gibbons in regards to the governor’s Covid-19 vaccine mandate and expectations.
About Our Speaker
Clarice Law, DMD, MS is a Health Sciences Clinical Professor in the Sections of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, UCLA School of Dentistry. Dr Law received her DMD from Harvard School of Dental Medicine and completed specialty training in Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics at UCLA. She teaches both disciplines to dental students and residents. Her research interests are in parental and social influences on child behavior. Dr Law is married to filmmaker Ian Eyre and has two children who have influenced both her orthodontic and behavior guidance practices immensely.
- 1 year full-time practice in orthodontics and pediatric dentistry
- 20 years in full-time academics
- Split between pediatric dentistry and orthodontics
- Dental students and residents
- Previous predoctoral orthodontics program director
- Previous predoctoral pediatric dentistry program director
- Previous graduate pediatric dentistry program director
- Currently Acting Chair of the Section of Orthodontics
- Research is mainly on the influence of parents on children in the dental setting
My legal name is actually Eyre, like Jane Eyre.
I am an amateur musician and have played guitar and electric bass with a variety of semi-professional musicians.
I lived in Atlanta, Georgia for one year as a mid-career break where my job was stay-at-home mom. I am happy to be back at work.
My backyard was the set of a Doritos Super Bowl commercial in 2012.
My husband is a Hollywood stuntman!